Sunday, October 5, 2014

MARTHA’S MEWS
Vol. 1, no. 13
11 September 2003

I’m Proud!

It is indeed hard to believe that 2 years have passed since the horrid events of September 11, 2001.  Each of us is remembering where we were and what we were doing on that fateful day.

Here at the base, we had a fantastic memorial service and it made me proud.  First of all, I’m proud of our Chaplain.  He and I (plus Stacey and Corey) were the music event.  Chaps was bustling around like a little bee when I arrived at 7:15 a.m. (that’s in the morning, folks!), setting up the sound system and other equipment.  But when the memorial started, he was dressed in his khaki uniform and ready for action.  He led the opening prayer.  It was probably the only event of the day not scripted and rehearsed and it was PRECIOUS!

I’m proud of our military – both the US and the Greek.  American Navy men and women saluted and civilian personnel stood at attention as the Greek national anthem was played.  And the Greek military and civilians did the same while our anthem played.

I’m proud of our flag.  As I stood there with my hand over my heart, listening to the strains of the “Star Spangled Banner,” I must confess, I was thinking of all the places I’d been where this song had been played.  As I looked up at the flag, I saw a white plane flying high in the sky – and I thought about those people who perished in planes two years ago.  I remembered a basketball game at ORU just before I left the states, when I was wondering if I would ever hear my national anthem again.  What a road I have traveled in these past years.

I’m proud of our Commanding Officer.  He stood tall and read words of peace and memoriam.  He talked about how these tragic events had unified us and made us realize that we are not alone – we are part of families and neighborhoods and communities.   As I listened to him, I looked out at the faces of the men and women in uniform, the firefighters, the civilian personnel, and precious little Shannon, munching her breakfast on top of the big fire truck.  We are members of a community – even here in Souda Bay, Crete.

I’m proud of the Greek Captain as well.  His speech was made in Greek (and beautifully interpreted by the South African Executive Assistant at the base) and had some very soul-stirring words.  He said that many people perished in that attack two years ago who were not Americans.  He said that this was not an American attack but an attack against all free nations and people.  “Terrorism has affected all of us.”  We were two nations, side by side, this morning.  And it was beautiful.

I’m proud of our police department.  As the policemen’s prayer was read, I thought about all the men and women in law enforcement all over America – who have a prayer that acknowledges God as creator, protector and guide.  WOW!

I’m proud of our fire department.  As Corey struggled to keep his composure while reading the Fire Fighter’s prayer, I thought of all the families of fire fighters who are remembering today.  The bell rang at the end of each line – it was hard for all of us to hear but good for all of us to remember.

I’m proud that Chaps and Stacey and Corey and I could stand in front of this group and proudly sing “To God Be the Glory” – without fear that someone would imprison us for our faith.

And as wreaths were laid respectfully at the base of the huge anchor that sits in front of our Administration Building, I was proud to be allowed a part in all of this.  Who knew that becoming a dishwasher on a military base would allow such a privilege!

However, I totally lost my composure when taps was played.  The strains of that trumpet blowing the notes that are known far and wide as the final FINAL – crystallized it all.  Noone knows when the “taps” will sound.  We have no guarantees of a tomorrow or even a tonight.  Some of those precious people who perished in New York City were ready to meet their Maker – had made their peace with God.  Many were caught by surprise. 

I stood there and listened, grateful for the knowledge that I’m ready – in fact I am MORE than ready – I’m WAITING for that final trumpet to blow.  I pray that you are, too.  THAT would make me more proud than anything!


Tell someone you love them today – and mean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment