Sunday, October 5, 2014

MARTHA’S MEWS
 Vol 1, No. 10
10 August 2003

Star Track Gazing

I know you’ve seen this heading before but THIS is different!  I’ve been thinking a lot lately about a couple of old hymns.  First is the one called “Let Others See Jesus in You.”  I went on a search for the words so I use  this song in our chapel group.  Here’s a refresher (or an introduction, if you’re not familiar with it):

While passing thru this world of sin and others your life shall view,
Be clean and pure without within.  Let others see Jesus in you.

Let others see Jesus in you.  Let others see Jesus in you.
Keep telling the story; be faithful and true.
Let others see Jesus in you.

Your life’s a book before their eyes.  They’re reading it thru and thru.
Say, does it point them to the skies?  Do others see Jesus in you?

Powerful words, eh?  These words popped up in my spirit while I was watching the starfish yesterday morning!  I found a little “clan” of about 6 starfish – all sizes, colors and textures – and as I watched them moving about on the sandy sea bottom, I noticed something fresh and new.  One starfish was making a deep impression on the sand (!) because when it moved away, there was a perfect star track where he had been.

I know you can see where I’m going with this.  I watched in amazement as this little starfish continued impressing the sand as it traveled thru the sand.  And then, here came those words – my life is a book that the people around me are reading.  Is it leaving tracks that point the readers heavenward – or someplace else?

AND THEN, the chaplain’s message Sunday was from Acts 27 – Paul’s shipwreck.  He pointed out that Paul’s promise from the angel was that all the people with him would be saved.  He challenged us all to look in our “boat” and find the people that are looking at us for hope, light and help.  So I’m right back at my starfish tracks again.  Here’s a little “oldie but goodie” to leave you with! 

BRIGHTEN THE CORNER

Do not wait until some deed of greatness you may do,
Do not wait to send your light afar.
To the many duties ever near you now be true.  Brighten the corner where you are!

Here for all your talent you may surely    find a need
Here reflect the Bright and Morning  Star.
Even from your humble hand, the bread of life may feed,
Brighten the corner where you are.

Brighten the corner where you are!
Brighten the corner where you are!
Someone far from harbor you may guide across the bar,
Brighten the corner where you are.

I hope you’ll look around at the people in your “boat” and see whose corner needs a little brightening!  I know that our Father wants us to leave tracks where we’ve been.  They don’t even have to be big tracks – just some kind of mark that says you were there!  The HK teachers are always telling me they miss my laughter – hey – that’s a star track!






No comments:

Post a Comment