Sunday, October 5, 2014

MARTHA’S MEWS
Vol. 1, No. 8
14 July 2003

Moonrise/Sunset … Star Track

Yup, that’s right – Star TRACK – not mis-spelled.  Soon, all will be revealed!

I just had to tell you about the incredible display of nature last night.  My friend Gus and I went for a “swim” at Blue Beach about 5ish.  Were we ever surprised to find the beach nearly deserted and NOBODY in the sea.  After 5 milliseconds in the water, we knew why.  As I said to Tobey, imagine if someone cut the grass in your entire lawn and then dumped all the clippings in your bathtub.  THAT is how full the sea was of black and dark-green sea grass.  I could hardly get into the water because the rocks were so slippery – finally, I just decided to put on my mask and snorkel and take the plunge.  I felt like I was in a horror movie – couldn’t see one speck of water for all the grass!  After getting OUT of that mess, I also found that a great percentage of the grass and muck was deposited INSIDE MY SWIMSUIT!  YUCK!

God made up for the trouble, however, with what came next.  After an hour or two in the sun, picking up shells, sharing our “secrets” and praise reports, Gus and I made our way to my favorite seaside taverna.  The sun was a stupendous ball of orange fire that slowly descended into the horizon.  As it made its descent (imagine the slowest elevator you have ever been on – that’s how it looks), there seemed to be a pathway in the sea – full of light and leading directly from us to the sun.  Closer and closer and closer it got to the horizon and then like a 3 point basket sunk from the sidelines, PLUNK – right into the sea.  Now of course, it doesn’t actually FALL into the sea – but that’s what it looks like from our vantage point.

After an hour or so of conversation, wonderful food and laughter with Nikos, our friend and waiter, we made our way to the car, got in and drove down the long wind-y road towards the “highway.”  At the intersection, I slowed to look to the right for oncoming traffic.  Gus looked as well.  When we both turned to look to the left, in perfect unison, we shouted “WOW!”  Our Father was not finished surprising us – for there in the sky to our left was THE most enormous moon either of us had ever seen – it was equally as huge as the sunset we had just witnessed!  Now how about THAT for compensation for a little sea grass inside your swimsuit!

So, today, I went for my usual morning swim/snorkel/exploration – MY beach was gorgeous…MY water was crystal clear and VERY cold!  As I was swimming, I saw all my usual little friends – and some gorgeous shells.  I tried valiantly to pick them up with my toes and in so doing, attracted quite a contingency of little fish.  When the shell would drop, all the fish would dive at it – hoping to find one teeny little morsel of its former occupant.  As I swam along, I kept turning around to see the group behind me swelling to platoon proportions!

There is one area between my island and the shore where I usually spend quite a bit of time watching the starfish.  And while watching the starfish, I have come to discover that they are NOT all alike!  (Neither are people, eh?)  But there is something odd about these little beauties – they all seem to have an annoying neighbor that follows them around.  On the sea bottom, I’ve found these ugly little critters – don’t know their name – but it takes deep concentration to “see” them.  They wear sand colored camouflage and are completely flat, about 3 inches long, AND have two eyes right smack on the top of their head.  Imagine a ‘normal’ fish lying on its side with both eyes on the top side – but these little guys don’t have any fins – just a little tail nub.  They slither all over the sand floor but especially near the starfish. 

Okay – so today, I couldn’t find even ONE starfish – just tracks!  And starfish tracks are INTERESTING!  There are dozens and dozens of star-shaped imprints in the sand with little trails connecting them.  But there is no way to tell whether they are ‘coming or going.’  I was growing deeply disappointed because I couldn’t find even one starfish – and this is my daily treat in the sea – when I noticed what looked like a fat dead fish sticking out of a lump of sand.  Upon closer observation, I found that this fish was most certainly NOT dead – in fact, it had TWO eyes on the top of its head.  It was about the size of a ping-pong paddle and was a grandfather of those ugly little starfish pests.  If I thought the little ones were ugly – this guy was KING ugly!  I stuck my feet down near him and ‘paddled’ fiercely to stir him out of his sand bed.  He actually came up in the water about halfway between bottom and top – and then slid back down – ooooooh was he ugly!

So, I never did find any starfish but I still managed to have quite an adventure.  And when I got out, toweled off and walked to the car, there was Tina waiting for me (Paul’s wife).  I tried to tell her what I’d just found out there and she said, “Oh I never bother swimming here – there’s just NOTHING to see!  I go somewhere where I can find interesting things to look at when I’m snorkeling.”  It’s all a matter of perspective, folks – ain’t it!


Remember that old hymn “Open my eyes that I may see, visions of truth Thou has for me!”  OPEN UP THOSE BABY BLUES (greens, hazels, browns) and see what your Daddy has for you to see today!
This is my gorgeous granddaughter Victoria (Tori).

No comments:

Post a Comment